Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

My Second Home.

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one."
- Dr. Seuss
 Pencils have been sharpened. Crayons and markers replenished. Toys tucked in their place. Copies made and notebooks assembled. Furniture was arranged and re-arranged, and then arranged some more. All leading up to the first day of school and the seven little ones that walked through our classroom door. 
 This is the first blog post I have done about my actual physical classroom space... as I start my 4th year at Jackson, this set-up is probably my favorite. I have had time to figure out spacing issues, practiced my labeling skills and perfected placing some of my posters back in the same spot year after year. 
 While some people might dread their work space, my "office" is full of student masterpieces, colorful visuals, treasured toys, and comfy corners.  I am a nester by nature and my classroom is no different... it has quickly become my second home. 
And thanks to Pinterest, my classroom is even more organized, color-coded, and labeled in every way possible. 
 Teaching children with autism has its ups and downs. Its funny moments and its heart breaking moments. There are earth shattering break throughs... moments of total clarity. There are times when the world seems so simple and then others when the complexity of it all can be extremely frustrating. We have hours of organized chaos... comedy and humor in the most unlikely ways... and seven little ones that prove no matter our differences... 
"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living. It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do and that enables you to laugh at life's realities."
- Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...